A lot of people have the habit of being relatively active on their “workout days” then sometimes feel lost on their off days or just shirk off their fitness on the weekends. Everyone can live an active lifestyle, whether it includes going to the gym or not! Here are some ideas for ways to be active when you aren’t in the gym.
- Hiking: Hiking can be a great full body workout if you live in a place where this is a possibility, I’m from Louisiana and it’s not exactly the most mountainous terrain, however locally, we have Tunica Hills, which even has some small waterfalls to use as a background for your ever important Instagram post to show that you went outside.
- Boxing/ MMA: These two can be more of a workout than actually going to a conventional gym! These activities are a great way to ensure that you get your cardio in and getting some of that pent-up aggression out!
- Your favorite sport: I grew up playing basketball, and will still play every once in a while, there is something about being able to get back in the game of something that was part of your formative years that makes the time fly by! There are many organizations that exist to give adults a competitive outlet in volleyball, kickball, soccer, and basketball. Get some of your friends and get to it!
- Swimming: If you have a pool near you, swimming is possibly one of the most time efficient ways of burning calories and getting a great cardiovascular workout in. You can go as slowly or work as hard as you want!
- Walking: Take a walk with your dog, significant other, kids, or even just yourself! This is the simplest option for many people. It will also help your mental health just being outside, if you don’t want to try any of the other options yet, give this a shot!
- Walk on the treadmill/ get on another cardio machine: Just because you aren’t lifting that day doesn’t mean you can’t go to the gym! If you feel the need to stay in the routine or even if you just want to get out of the house, go spend 20-30 minutes doing some low intensity steady state cardio (LISS).
- Bonus Tip: You may already be doing this without realizing it. If you’re someone that likes to talk on the phone, walk around while you do it! It may only be for 20-30 minutes a day, but that amount of time walking adds up and surely beats just sitting on your couch mindlessly eating and watching TV while talking to someone.